Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Calm before the storm

So things are pretty low key at the moment, but from what I hear it’s the calm before the storm! November 3rd starts ferria here, the big fair that they have in town every year. We have already had the start of ‘futbolito’ the soccer games that happen in the town square nightly, and apparently this signals the beginning of chaos of sorts. I’m just happy there is something to do after 7pm at night!
Ferria has a lot to do with the church, for the first week anyways. We aren’t exactly sure what to expect, as we haven’t been told much other than we are supposed to be helping with the daily events. Not exactly an idea job for the rookies who don’t really speak the language or know what the daily events are, but I guess it will be a learning process, as all things here have turned out to be! I will keep you posted as the events unfold!
We went to the clinic yesterday again, and I encouraged yet again about finding my place here in a sense. I thoroughly have enjoyed my time there, and each week I get another taste of what it feels like to be practicing medicine! I never thought I would say this, but I miss working with patients, making people feel better, and just listening when they need it the most. A lot of these people have different things going on than I hear working in the hospitals at home, but none the less they are happy sharing, and are relieved by the smiles that you can share with them.
I have heard several suggestions that Melissa and I should work on starting a clinic, but I just don’t know that this is a possibility. With out limited knowledge, Spanish, and resources, we just don’t know how this could be done. I am working on getting some time at the health center here in town, and hopefully over the next couple weeks will make the contacts to be able to be a nurse a couple more days a week. I am hoping to learn enough about their health systems, diseases, knowledge, etc that I can see deficits and hopefully do something about them!
Melissa and I are also continuing to work on our idea to have a group for elderly people. It’s a bit stalled out for the moment, but we are encouraged by the help of one of the members of the community here and his enthusiasm for our project. Hopefully soon I will be able to report we have started our visits, and are getting to know even more people in our community.
Our cat is doing well also! Melissa and I have names him ‘Minimo’ meaning smallest or the minimum, or also what people call bananas here. The boys seem to think vouldemort (I have no idea if that’s how its spelt) from Harry Potter is more fitting, but for now I suppose we will just have to see which one if more fitting for him once we get to know his personality more.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are helping a lot of people 'feel better' - it's just not in the same way, in the same fashion, or in the same time frame. You are doing fantastic work there and I know I always post it, but I mean it - they are SO Blessed to have you there!

Love the name Minimo! (though I don't get the banana similiarity - so I assume it's in pronounciation!!)

I look forward to hearing about Ferria - the calm before the storm ey? Oh the adventures !!! Vaya Bien !!!

Dad said...

It seems as though there is always some sort of event going on but maybe as much goes on here but we're not as aware. Glad the clinic visits are going well and your enjoying your work. Looking forward to our visit!

Love dad