Saturday, January 24, 2009

This week

So Tuesday, as you all know, we got a new President! We went to Guiamaca as usual, and worked for a few hours. Then, at about 10:00 our time (11 on the east coast) and went over to the rectory to watch the events unfold! Melissa and I went, along with the nursing students that were there, a few nuns, a priest and a few Hondurans that work for the church or are close to the American priest that resides there. It was a great ceremony, and although Obama's speech was dubbed in spanish, it was still touching to hear. I think that it was interesting to see the new President take office in a foreign country. When Honduras, for example, gets a new president, I doubt many people in the States could tell you about the inauguration. However, the news here was everywhere. On election day the front pages of every new paper in Honduras were plastered with pictures and quotes for our candidates. The next day, of course, Honduras rejoiced to see our liberal president elect. I think there are a lot of issues that will effect live down here, but none as obviously or openly as immigration. Although its obvious that republicans and democrats have different schools of thought when it comes to immigration, the people here have the opinion that Obama will completely reform any laws that once existed regarding border patrol,and open up the gates for immigrants. Its a huge issue that effects the economy, the social structure, well, basically every aspect of lives here. They were also very happy with Obama's approach to economic reform, meaning that the immigrants that are in the states now will be able to, at some point in the future, send money home for their families to live off of.
As we watched our new president take the oath I couldn't help but feel proud of our country. We really do have a hugely powerful country, one that hopefully will be on the upswing again before not too long.
Wednesday I went to talk to the Doctor at the medical center in town. Although the doctor is new there, he was welcoming and spoke with me for a while. I explained to him that i wanted to learn more about what they do there, the people that come to see them, the health of the Honduran people, etc, and he said I could certainly spend time with him and the staff there. I was pumped! Thursday morning I got up, and being the person that I am even arrived at the health center early. I then proceeded to wait an hour and a half for the doctor to present himself, while being virtually ignored by the nurses and other staff at the center. When the doctor finally arrived, along with a medical student, he completely ignored me! I couldn't believe it. I said good morning to him as he passed, and barely got a flinch from him. I then waited for 15 more minutes, to see if he might acknowledge me, and after he looked right at me and took the first patient in, I left. It was quite the frustrating experience, but I guess he just didn't want our help. His loss!
Today we had a scrimmage with our baseball teams against the other team from town and another team from a town about an hour and a half away. Laura and I went to pick up the kiddos from Rio Dulce, and there were 12 of them, which it is a great turnout! we were so excited, because the kids were so excited, that we forgot to get the gloves and balls! Eventually we went back to get them, and the proceeded to the stadium. We then played our tournament, and gave the kids lunches. They loved it. We loved it. And our team won, so it was really good reinforcement for them! All in all it was a great day!
Hope everyone is well!

3 comments:

Un Dave said...

The inauguration was very exciting. It was such a historical event. To see all American's united as one was very moving. All those people in Washington. Not one arrest. That's amazing. I think the U.S. and the world have a new found hope. Such a small word will do many things "Hope".

Sorry how that doctor treated you. His loss.You handled the situation very professionally. Way to go.

Your Always in your tiny families thoughts and prayers.

Lv Un Dave

Dad said...

Our, your, country has a huge imapct on what happens around the world and I'm sure we just don't see it like you have, another new perspective. still waiting for the weather you were going to send...

love dad

Unknown said...

I'm a little late this week - and I'm like you - I'm one of the early birds, especially when it comes to doing something that I SO enjoy!!! (OY to the doctor AND the nurses!) Anyhoo - can't even imagine being there watching the Inauguration, my mind would be visiting a million places! I love that your scrimmages are a 'hit' !
Love & Hugs to you!