Sunday, January 18, 2009

The week

Hello all! Things are going really well here, I am happy to report. Monday we had our weekly Domestic Violence group, and the women were all in good spirits. We had about 12 of them, and many brought their kids, which I have to admit, i´m becoming quite fond of ( its hard not to fall in love with them!). We somehow got into a conversation about cooking, and they asked me if I was able to make tortillas and beans and whatnot. I informed them that I could, and their response, without missing a beat, was that I would make a good wife one day. Its intersting to see how minds work so differently!
Tuesday and Wednesday Melissa and I spent in Guiamaca, at the clinic, working with some nursing students that are there for a few weeks to learn about public and community health. They have an instructor there also, but Melissa and I ahve been pitching in to help translate, and fill in for the teacher when possible. It has been really nice for me to be able to teach the students, and I think i´m learning also. They are all really nice girls, and I ahve had a lot of fun with them. Its good for me to brush up on the ´school´way to do things. Its also been kind of fun to be able to to share with them my experiences in public health, working with this population, and the interesting diseases and coonditions we have encountered here. Friday we took them for a tour of the AIDS hospice we visit, and i think they liked seeing the different social services availabe here. They raised some great questions, which made me think of all kinds of things I hadn´t yet considered. We will be working with them for a few more weeks, so I will be sure to keep you updated. Hope everyone is doing well and keeping warm!

2 comments:

Dad said...

I do have a different perspective now when I read these and can picture where and what your doing..pretty neat. about 8 inches of snow today...send weather!

thanks for the update.

Love Dad

Unknown said...

Who'd a thunk that you would be helping with translating?! Must make you think of your first time in Hondorus when you meet new students/visitors to the country like that and cause you to pause at not being 'the new kid'on the block! Glad you're having a good week! As for the warmth - I agree with your father - please send some this way would ya??!! Love & Hugs coming your way!