Wednesday, August 20, 2008

All kinds of Beauty

So yesterday Mike, one of the other volunteers, and I walked to Terrero, one of the Aldeas. It was about an hour and a half walk, and worth every minute of it. We arrived pretty early in the day, ten or so, and spend some time just walking around exploring. We started our venture for many reasons, and by the time we came back, we had a whole different set of reasons for wanting to go back again next week.
Part of our mission was just to explore the aldea, get used to the lay of the land, meet some new people, hopefully learn a bit of Spanish, and just make the Passionists presence known in this particular aldea. Part of the problem with the turnover of the volunteers is that we need to make people aware of the new volunteers, what we are here to do, and create new relationships. We walked out there, and even on the road to the aldea we knew our journey would be a rewarding one. We met several people who not only extended their kind wishes (vaya bien) but also people offering us fruit and other foods for our walk. As we approached the village we ran into some people we had met previously during our time there on other occasions. They were astonished that the gringos (white people) were walking, and again offered to accompany us, give us help, and food. They were willing to make their day harder just to make ours easier… and I thought I was coming down here to help them!
Mike and I proceeded to go visit some people at different houses, being poured on throughout the day. We met with some people we had already known, who fixed us lunch after our ‘long trip’ and gave us coffee (even though it was about 90 degrees out and were we warm and sweaty from our treck… but it’s the thought that counts, of course). Then one of the children we had met brought us to another house, where we had not previously been, nor had the previous volunteers. It was a beautifully simple home, well kept in its sole bedoom/diningroom/living room, with a kitchen off the back that encompassed its simple fire heated stovetop. The people were wonderful peaceful and happy just to visit with us. I really enjoyed spending time there. It was a place that the silence we shared was comfortable, instead of awkward with anticipation of what was next to come.
Later we shared the celebration of the word with the people, where it is custom to offer the sign of peace to everyone in attendance, and then walked home. During our walk back we took the time to really look around, see the scenery that otherwise we might have missed during our crazy drive over the ugly and weather beaten roads. It was a beautiful and fully rejuvenating day, and I was glad I elected to walk there rather than drive to another aldea with some of our counterparts.
I think for me this was the best day I have spent in Honduras yet. Although there have been many touching moments and experiences, interactions and exchanges, I think this day sums up what I came here to do. I walked out to the aldea, just like the people here do whenever they need to get into or out of town, we shared time and energy, without needed to spend money or give gifts, we learned for the people, and hopefully taught the people, if only about ourselves. We started to lay a solid foundation for the work that is to come. We shared what is important to the people, solely by being present in their lives, just listening, going to the celebration of the word, and meeting their families. It was a beautiful day, I only hope that I have done justice in its account it!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, it certainly made me smile and feel fulfilled so I think you did indeed get your feelings across. I have the visual going (as I do reading all your blogs)and what I see is your face, listening SO attentively to them...I can see it as clear as day. THEY were very Blessed by the day also. Hugs!

Unknown said...

P.S.

vaya bien !

Jennifer Morse said...

This sounds AMAZING, Lauren! I still don't think those people know how lucky they are to have you down there with them. Not gunna lie, I'm pretty jealous that Honduras gets to have you and Massachusetts doesn't! Hope the espanol learning is going well! I expect you to teach us all the good words once you get back!! Love and miss you tons! <3 Manganini