Friday, August 15, 2008

Sigh...

Just a sigh of relief here. I write shortly after returning to Talanga. Last night we went into Tegucigalpa for the night. We stayed at a hotel. A real life hotel with running water, a TV and a pool. About four minutes after check in my swimsuit was on and I was completly submerged in the pool. After, time for a shower. for those of you who don´t know, we don´t have running water which means, cold bucket showers. A bucket shower consists of taking water from the pila (the basin outside that contains all of our drinking and bathing water) and bringing it into what looks like a standard shower. Then taking a bowl and pouring it over your body, lathering up, rinse and repeat. So last night I took a real live warm shower. I feel like a new woman! We then indulged in Pizza Hut pizza (yes, they have pizza hut in the capital here) and watched the olympics for a while. It was very refreshing to sleep in a nice big bed without the sounds of Geckos, roosters and dogs all nights, and without a misquito net over my bed! Sweet relief! I am very grateful for this break in teh action, and although I know better than to get used to it, I am definetly looking forward to returning (I think thats where we will be for our thanksgiving treat).
Other than that its back to the daily grind. We have been going out to the aldeas a good amount, and waiting on supplies so we can commence our Latrine project. I guess its a kind of ´Honduran´thing to have everything in order, and just wait. Well, we are getting used to this custom. One of the aldeas that has 86 houses has already dug the holes and is just waiting for the toilet seats.... only time will tell!

Tomorrow will bring a trip to one of the more impoverished Aldeas. I am excited to go up because I think there is the most work there to be done. There is already a child malnutrition project that has been started, and they are going to be the recipients of a shipment of beans from another orginizatoin (once they arrive.. see a theme?) I think there is also a lot to do up there healthwise becuase they are the poorest and have the worst access to the community, meaning... poorest health. I will try and get some more pics up as soon as they feel like loading. Thanks for all the support!

2 comments:

woudntulike2know said...

Hey Lauren!
Glad to hear that everything is going well down there. The blogs are great... still not the same without you up here though. Stay safe down there.

P.S.- How's life without meat going?

Vinnie

Unknown said...

I was wondering if you heated your water before 'bathing' or if you just 'toughed it out' (wincing). What a nice treat to have an overnight at a hotel! Rejuvenation!! Hugs!