Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Do one thing every day that scares you!

Sorry about the lack of pictures. I forgot my camera cord at home, and need to wait until mom and dad send one, hopefully it will arrive sooner rather than later. One of the people here with me has some pics up on their blog, and if you are interested the link is
seanmichaelmgarvey.blospot.com
Melissa, my new roomie also has a blog
hawkeyeinhonduras.blogspot.com

Things have been going really well. We dropped off the old volunteers and finally have our entire team together. The first night we were all alone together in our house we had a big of a surprise... a giant tarantula! It was right above mikes bed when he went to go to sleep. The boys then proceded to catch it, and are trying to keep it as a pet. I´m sure it goes without saying that Melissa and i are opposed to this, but majority rules!
We have been working on familiarizing ourselves with the projects the previous volunteer had been working on, and trying to see where we fit intop this whole picture. Monday Melissa and I ran a domestic abuse support group, and it was pretty much a flop. There were only three women that showed up, and the meeting was about a half hour shorter than usual. Being that neither Melissa nor I are profecient in spanish yet, we had a hard time communicating with the women, and this is the point of a support group! Although we had put a lot of time into prep, we built in several activities that needed further explaining to the women once we were at the group, and this was certianly a task! We talked to them a bit and they were happy we were there, and wanted very much to continue the group. I will report back and let everyone know if next week is more of a success! The little that these women did communicate left me feeling helpess. One woman spoke of her chronically ill child and the lack of healthcare, another of the lack of work for her and her new husband, and all spoke of past trauma and their struggles with forgiveness. I think more than anything I have a lot to learn from them!
I have also been working with the peace corps volunteer in town on a baseball team at one of the aldeas. The plan is to do a bunch of funcraising in town, and get them to go play another team new the copan ruins, and spend the day after the games learning about their history. It is crazy to me that they live only hours away from the source of their culture, and none of them have been to see it! They are great kids, and just happy to ahve something to do afterschool, so any addition to this joy only makes coaching them even more rewarding. They are fresh, but lovable!
Today we went to one of the aldeas to visit. I love passing the time in the countryside, just talking. Although it was a bit of a challenge, it also seems as though the concept of just visiting will be one of my favorite pastimes here!
Thats all for now. Please check out the other pages from some other perspectives!
Lots of love!

3 comments:

Dad said...

couple things...in the PAST your parents have let pets from this families travels to come home. no mas! I read the other blogs and it was interesting to see others perspectives as well. Sean's link was off a tad but I figured it out.
http://seanmichaelmcgarvey.blogspot
Glad to hear all is well.

Dad

fitzy said...

Hi lauren
Glad to hear you are doing well but sometimes majority should not rule. sleep well Fitzy

Sarah said...

What do you feed a pet tarantula??? I hope we don't meet any tarantulas when we come to visit!